Monday, January 16, 2012

Week 5 Facil Collaboration

This week we were working on our Google Site. I created a wiki 2 years ago (I used it as part of my resume to get my current job), but I haven't done a lot of work on it since then. I decided to try a google site this time to see if there was a lot of difference between the two. I found that the google site was very easy to create and I liked the different layouts that I could use for each page. I am trying to find a way to present some of the information that I want my students to use in a more visually appealing way. Currently we each have a "webpage" on the district site. However, these pages all have to use the same size font, design set-up, etc. and allow for no creativity. I also have many of the same links on the Library Catalog home page, but that too is not visually appealing. I am learning that I can embed some things, but I have to know HTML code in order to do this. Alas, I am HTML illiterate. So I have my wiki site. However, that is just one more place to put all of the information and for students to have to find. I really want to be able to put all of the relevant information in one place, but I want it to be engaging and user friendly. Is this really too much to ask? Although the google site, like my wiki, is easy to use...again it is just one more place to make my students look....

1 comment:

  1. I feel exactly the same way!! I created a Google site a year ago and thought it was easy to use. This time I am doing a Wiki and I think it is a little less user friendly than Google Sites!! I also have my own teacher website at school as well as a blog. I love the versatility they all provide, but I can't expect my students to go to all of these places for information. Unfortunately, I have to have a teacher site on our school webpage, which is very tedious to keep up with, therefore I probably will never use these other sites. I only have time to update one site.

    ReplyDelete