Monday, January 16, 2012

Week 4 Facil Collaboration (Social Bookmarking)

I was introduced to Delicious three years ago and absolutely loved it. I loved that I could bookmark the sites that I had been looking at for research and be able to easily find them again no matter where I was, and what computer I was using. I also learned that adding people to my "friends" list made it easy to benefit from their research as well. If I was struggling to find some information, I was pretty sure that someone else from my class had found something useful. The one thing that I didn't pick up on right away was the importance of tagging and notes. I would bookmark a site, but I wouldn't put a lot of thought into the tag. Then when I would go looking for it, I would have to wade through a lot of other bookmarks to find the one that I wanted. I also realized that a good note as to why I had chosen this website could be equally important. Last year Delicious was sold and I eventually moved my bookmarks to Diigo. One thing that I like about Diigo is the ability to annotate the sites that you bookmark. This makes it much easier to find the relevant pieces of information when you finally get back to it. The social aspect of these bookmarking sites is becoming more and more important to me. I get much more productive search results from searching the bookmarks of people who work in similar fields, than just doing a random google search on the same topic.

2 comments:

  1. I've been using Diigo since this program started and like using it. Must have the Diigo widgets/extensions on your browser to work with it effectively. I started out giving my bookmarks a tag. However, I now see that I should really be giving them 2,3 or more because it helps in your own search as well, especially if you forgot what tag you gave it. One thing I don't like about Diigo is that it only searches for tags. You cant search titles/URLs or notes.

    Notes are the other thing I have yet to use. I'm too lazy to add a note about a site I mark. Later, I see it and wonder what the site is about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, I like how you tell us your likes. For someone like me, it will make me try it out (even though I have for other classes). However; I'm not using bookmarking as much as I should. Hopefully I can get into the bookmarking scene more.

    ReplyDelete