Monday, March 5, 2012

Stats By Any Other Name - Week 4

This was another one of those weeks where the terminology got in my way. I was confused about standard scores and z-scores. I thought that the standard score was the number on the table axis, and that the z-score was the number that you would find in the table itself. This would explain why my group was getting the same answers for the percentage questions, but different z-scores. Once we got this straitened out everything made a lot more sense. Again this week was more about the interpretation of the data, which is a lot more interesting than just crunching the numbers.

I found the videos on Bill Tancer to be intriguing, if not just a little bit frightening. It's amazing to me how much information can be gained just from analyzing peoples search inquiries. As long as the information remains anonymous, I think people should be able to use anything that's out there. If my personal information starts to get shared, that's when I feel it crosses over into an invasion of privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment