Sunday, June 19, 2011

Google Sites, Web Sites and Wiki's Oh My!

I think it is really important to have a web presence in this day and age. Not only does it allow others to readily access information, it also creates a place to showcase projects, provide resources, allow for questions and answers, etc. I have 2 webpages associated with the school district and my own wiki (I chose to use a wiki instead of a web site generator like Weebly because at the time I was able to do more of what I wanted with wikisapces. I used my wiki as my e-portfolio for my library practicum and when I was interviewing for jobs. Currently our district is really making a push for all teachers to at least have their district webpage up and running.

I think this is true of students as well. I truly believe that students should be publishing their work in some manner for a wider audience. This allows them to become more responsible digital citizens.

I also thoroughly enjoy Ken Robinson. I have seen a number of talks by him and he is always inspiring. His message always points to the importance of allowing students to work to their strengths. Open ended project based learning does just that. It allows students to showcase their knowledge of subject matter in their own way.

4 comments:

  1. Good post.

    " I chose to use a wiki instead of a web site generator like Weebly because at the time I was able to do more of what I wanted with wikisapces"

    I like this approach because of the interactive nature of wikis and the feedback loop it can create. I see no reason what school websites can't evolve from information mediums to collaborative spaces.

    I've also seen schools ditch their expensive content management systems and use weblogs as websites. Many options out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our District also is pushing for all teachers to have their pages up to date. We also just started a staff Wiki where all staff members can add things they have created or sites they find valuable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our teachers have wikis that they can add to their class pages, but I've only had one use it. The only wiki they know is wikipedia and that site seems to fill english teachers with rage. (I think mostly when kids try to cite it as a scholarly source)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would definitely be a positive thing to get more teachers on the web. Everyone seems to be worried about saying or doing the wrong thing online, so they do nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete