Thursday, April 14, 2011

Computers and How They Work Experience

This class was very frustrating for me. I was way out of my comfort zone for most of the time. Although I have to say that I learned a lot. For instance, when I was thinking about my perfect computer, I understood what was meant by the different components. I had never opened a computer before or looked at different processors, etc. Much of my research was also time consuming since I needed to read and re-read in order to make sure that I understood the jargon and the definitions that they were using.

I was really hoping that I would have learned other practical information as well. For instance, when my desktop crashed, how do I go about reimaging it, or what are some things I could try to get my icons back up and running? Some actual troubleshooting techniques. Maybe this is information that will be coming later, but it is an area that I feel that I'm lacking in. We have a tech. department to deal with these issues at school, but they are often occupied elsewhere when we need them and if I knew a few things to try I might be able to fix it without having to wait for them.

1 comment:

  1. I was reading your comment to Zach's last post and thought I'd respond here. Yes it's a good thing that we are learning about all these things in this course. You like many others may have a tech department to do a lot of things. However, like myself, you may find yourself at a very small school an you are the tech department as well as instructor and coordinator.

    Like Zach, I might wish this course and program would cover some other aspects of IT but is really out of the scope of this course or program.

    Whatever you have learned, it will probably come in handy sometime, even if it is only to be more informed when you go to or have questions for an IT department. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete